You will agree that the difference between a good and a good pitch is your presentation skills and a well-designed PowerPoint presentation. You will leave a lasting impression on your audience if you have a visually appealing presentation.
If you’ve ever created a Microsoft PowerPoint presentation, you’ve probably pasted the contents of a Microsoft Word document onto the corresponding PowerPoint slides. And then added relevant images, icons, and designed and formatted, right?
But what if you could create a stylish presentation with just a few clicks? With artificial intelligence from Microsoft, you can now automate the conversion of Word documents to PowerPoint presentations. Here’s how.
Exporting to a PowerPoint presentation: Microsoft’s AI at work for you
Exporting to PowerPoint Presentation, which is the name of this revolutionary AI feature from Microsoft, gives you slide suggestions powered by Designer in PowerPoint.
As Microsoft says, slides are derived from your section headers in the document, so be sure to organize your Word document accordingly for optimal suggestions.
Designer in PowerPoint analyzes keywords in your Word document, then suggests images, icons, videos, themes, and fonts to organize your content. So that means you don’t need to spend time opening a PowerPoint presentation, creating slides, formatting content and designing it. Microsoft’s AI does all the work for you!
What do you need to turn Word documents into PowerPoint presentations?
There are three things you need to automatically convert Word documents to PowerPoint: a stable internet connection, Word for the web, and a Word document that contains only text for the web document.
At this time, this feature of converting Word documents to PowerPoint presentations only works on Word for the web. You can also access this feature on Word and PowerPoint for the web if you have a Microsoft 365 subscription. But if you don’t have a subscription, you can do it for free with Office on the web.
To use this feature, you must be signed in to Office.com with a Microsoft account. If you don’t have a Microsoft account, you can easily create one. Here’s how:
1. Go to Office.com
2. Click on Sign up for the free version of Office.
3. In the Create an account page, sign up with an existing email address (it can be any ID, even Gmail), and follow the instructions to create an account.
4. Alternatively, you can use a phone number Where get a new email address if you don’t want to use an existing one.
How to prepare a word for the web document
Word desktop application will not work if you want to convert Word documents to PowerPoint. You need a Word document for the web, and there are three ways you can do it:
Create your presentation as a Word for the web document in Office.com.
Copy and paste the contents of an office Word file into a new blank Word document for the web.
Work on a desktop Word file and save it to your OneDrive folder. Then open it online in Word for the web.
So now that you have your Word for the web document ready, let’s turn it into a professional looking presentation.
How to use the export to a PowerPoint presentation
To test this revolutionary feature, I edited and used one of my articles on a desktop Word file.
Then I copied the contents of it, pasted it to Word for the web document, and saved it to Office.com. Here’s how to turn a document into a presentation:
1. Click on File> Export> Export to PowerPoint presentation.
2. Depending on the keywords in your document, the AI will offer you a few design templates to choose from. I had 18 cool design themes which made it easy to select. So choose a design theme that you like for your presentation.
3. As your presentation builds up, the AI will show you windows with notifications of slide prep and summary of your content. Finally, a window will open to let you know that your presentation is ready. Click on Open presentation to view the results in PowerPoint for the web.
4. As you can see the AI did an amazing job creating my Word document in a bright, colorful and carefully designed and formatted PowerPoint presentation.
5. You can always modify the suggested content as needed. As you can see in the image above, Designer in PowerPoint will give you design options next to each slide. If you don’t like one, you can choose a different one. Just click on the Design option, and it will be changed.
6. And you can add icons, images, videos and more just like in any PowerPoint. I added icons of “Snacks” and a “Movie Clapboard” to sync with the Entertainment theme of a slide.
And not just from the web, but you can add media from your own PC as well, once you’re in PowerPoint for the web.
7. The created presentation is saved in the root folder of OneDrive on your computer.
You can also choose to save the presentation online, download a copy to your PC, and then use it offline like any other presentation. There are also options to download it as PDF, as ODP and also as images.
At the time of this writing, the Export to PowerPoint The presentation feature is only available in English and only supports content files. However, support for your photos and paintings is coming soon. And it is not yet available on Internet Explorer or Safari browsers.
Amazing AI that understands your content and theme
To further test the feature’s AI capabilities, I created a short golf-themed Word document. And I was pleasantly surprised by the AI’s understanding of the theme and content of the presentation.
When I exported the Word document, the first two theme options had actual golf images and looked perfect!
So I chose the design that I liked, and as you can see above, the AI created a very professional and elegant presentation!
Now work smart and create great presentations
There’s no denying that this revolutionary PowerPoint export presentation feature will transform the way you work or study. It’s great for our fast-paced world and can help you save a lot of time and effort by getting the job done with its AI magic, easily and quickly.
So now that you know how to use this amazing feature, go ahead and turn your Word documents into smart PowerPoint presentations. Whether it’s a school or college report, a marketing campaign, or your company’s profile for investors, you are sure to make an impact!
Microsoft PowerPoint and Google Slides are two of the best presentation tools out there. Find out which software is right for you.
About the Author